We recommend starting this protocol 1 week prior to your first treatment session as it may help to increase neuroplasticity and the likelihood of having a transcendental experience. The body and mind have the ability to heal itself. To learn more about our bodies ability to reach homeostasis, please watch: Heal
Here we highlight the most effective lifestyle changes:
Mindfulness is the practice of being deliberately aware from moment to moment of one's conscious experience.
Proper diet and nutrition is important. Food is medicine and the inflammatory foods that what we consume on a daily basis can cause inflammation in the body as well as the brain. We recommend following the anti-inflammatory diet, which provides guidelines on what to eat and what to avoid. Click here for the anti-inflammatory diet.
Hydration: ½ your weight in lb. in oz. of water is a healthy daily goal.
We have seen tremendous success with practicing breathwork pre-session. Click here to learn more.
Scientific studies show that when we meditate we can effectively change the shape of our brain by flexing the muscle of attention. Similar to when we go to the gym and do repetitions to increase our muscle, we can practice meditation daily to focus the mind and change its neuroplasticity. Neuroplasticity is the ability of the brain to change its structure.
Watch Netflix: Guide to Meditation
Daily meditation for 15 – 30 minutes.
• Motion creates emotion. Sedentary behavior worsens mental health issues. Exercise restores healthy neurochemistry and allows us to optimize our internal pharmacy.
• Find an activity that you enjoy doing and try to sweat for 30 minutes minimum every day.
• Yoga: Mindfulness is an important part of yoga and meditation.See Johns Hopkins article on benefits of yoga.
• There are thousands of free videos on youtube for yoga and fitness
• Peloton App is a great resource for classes
• Try to minimize your screen time and excessive cell phone use. Turning off notifications and creating healthy phone habits are important for balancing neurochemistry. Please watch The Social Dilemma for additional information.
• Psychostimulants such as caffeine, nicotine, etc., which can reduce the efficacy of the medicine.
We are social creatures. Humans are hard-wired for social interaction and respond negatively to social isolation. Reach out to loved ones and increase healthy social outlets.
Chronic sleep deprivation can impair neurogenesis. Sleep hygiene methods include keeping a dark, quiet and cold room. Maintaining a regular sleep schedule with a minimum of 6 hours nightly. Try to avoid eating in bed, working, or watching tv in bed. Practice relaxation techniques turn off all electronics, and minimize external stimulation prior to bedtime. Why We Sleep is a great book to learn about the importance of sleep.