After The Session
When you are feeling back to baseline, go ahead and eat, drink or go about your day or evening.
• Preferably consume lighter foods like fruits, nuts, seeds, etc.
• Make sure to re-hydrate yourself with water or tea.
• After the first few treatments you may feel tired/fatigued for a 2-4 hours after. There are several factors that affect this including dose and how you feel before the treatment. The higher the dose, the more tired you may feel.
• Depending on how you respond to the ketamine there's a small chance of feeling nauseous or dizzy. The clinician may have prescribed Ondanestron as a prophylactic to help curb chances of nausea. If you had a higher dose, you may feel a slightly floaty feeling well into several hours after the treatments.
For most people, the acute effects of ketamine wear off in 2-5 hours. These effects may include nausea, dissociation, confusion, headache, dizziness, or euphoria. For a very rare minority (less than 1%), these effects may last up to 24 hours. Some describe this rare occurrence as an "emotional hangover." To prevent this, consider using the spit cup method rather than ingesting the medication after the absorption process.
• Be conscious of the content you are consuming and the conversations you're having. Be very mindful & keep it positive/light (do not watch a crime show after your treatments!) Journaling, listening to music that makes you happy, drawing, or playing an instrument (we enjoy watching "MOVING ART" on Netflix after journaling). Review the integration tab for more information.
• Do not drive until you are back to baseline (we recommend no driving the day of the session).
• Do not attempt to stand up or walk around within 3 hours after self-administering the medicine. When you do stand up, utilize your Peer Support to assist until you are back to baseline.
• Do not operate heavy machinery.
Major Life Decisions
• Don’t make any major life changes (e.g. starting or ending a relationship, signing a binding contract, quitting your job, making large purchases, leaving the country) for at least a couple days after your treatment.
*Month 1 includes initial psychiatric clinician appointment. If you are continuing care with the provider and would like to schedule a follow-up, please schedule at least 30 days after starting your initial appointment (after 4 sessions minimum) so your clinician can assess how things are progressing. Think of it as going to the gym, you can't expect lasting results after 2 sessions. 8 treatments are recommended to properly gauge results.
Please see the tab Continued Care for more information.
*Please have your journal notes/reflections complete after each session readily available for your integration calls.
• Ketamine sessions can break down barriers to bring your awareness to emotional conflicts that may have been repressed. These types of experiences can leave you feeling emotionally raw. This does not mean that you are regressing; this is part of the mental wellness journey. This is a common experience within the first month of the program. In order to heal, you must feel. Ketamine allows us to interact with these challenging thoughts or emotions, through a different lens, or objective view. Our Integration Coaches are experts in helping you process and navigate these experiences. Even something as simple as journaling after your sessions really helps allow you to unpack all of your emotions and process everything better. Journaling is an important part of this protocol, as it helps you to be able to reflect on the growth and shifts in perspective. Are you reacting to certain life triggers differently? Are you waking up feeling more motivated? Are you thinking clearer days following the sessions?
*Please continue to the Integration Section to continue your journal prompts and post-session work.